Light, sweet, mini donuts with fresh orange zest and plump, juicy cranberries, baked into an irresistible little ring. These Cranberry Orange Mini Donuts are a wonderful treat for breakfast, a snack, or a tasty dessert.
Being pregnant while loving to cook, means you never know what new creation will arise from our kitchen. The other day, these Cranberry Orange Mini Donuts just happened to become my latest (and greatest) little masterpiece. I suddenly got a surge of energy and inspiration, and we needed a little activity before nap time. The boys and I finished our lunch, and then it was baking time! When these little donuts came out of the oven, we could hardly wait for them to cool. We dove right in. They were immediate WINNERS! James and William literally each ate FOUR, and I hate to admit it, but I actually lost count how many I ate. (The baby must REALLY like these, too!) 😉
Happy Sunday! It was another fun, and busy weekend around here. Andrew and I had a nice little night out on Friday just the two of us, thanks to his parents who came to babysit. I will confess that this time, our little date night was actually a “let’s run errands just the two of us” night. I mean, there are so many things to get done before the baby comes and not much time. We did have a lot of fun together, and accomplished quite a bit. Although, I did promise someone that our next date night will definitely be something much more relaxing and romantic.
On Saturday and half of Sunday, I spent many hours in the kitchen slaving away to make food to freeze for after the baby comes. (This is what I was up to last weekend as well.) Woof! I am SOOO tired! I am happy to report that after all of the time spent planning, creating, shopping, prepping, and cooking meals for literally the last TWO weekends, we now have a great start on stocking our freezer. (I will definitely be doing a post in the near future on freezer meals and tips. I am super exited to share some of my favorite recipes, techniques and ideas. Plus, I want to remember them to do it again! 🙂 Andrew even suggested taking pictures of our freezer with all of our meals stacked up, and of course neatly labeled and organized. So those will be in there too.)
When I finally wrapped up this weekend’s overly ambitious list of “cook all the things!”, we decided to take full advantage of this chilly, but beautiful spring day. After nap time, we headed outside for a little family walk, and then snapped a few belly pictures, and pictures with the boys.
Sunshine, walks, cooking, time with family, and mini donuts, what a wonderful little weekend! These Cranberry Orange Mini Donuts are a sweet, healthy little treat that the whole family will enjoy all week long!
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice (about 1 medium orange)
- 2 egg whites (1/4 cup whites)
- 3/4 cup natural applesauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries (juice sweetened, if possible)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oat flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the milk and lemon juice, and let sit for 5 minutes, then stir again. Add to the milk mixture: orange juice, egg whites, applesauce, yogurt, oil, agave, and orange zest and whisk until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together until combined. Then fold in the cranberries.
- Allow batter to sit for about 10 minutes, then stir again. Spray a mini donut pan or mini muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon batter into each tin about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow donuts to cool in pan for 5 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool. Store donuts in an airtight container for up to 3 days on the counter, or 5 days in the refrigerator.