Thin, marinated breasts of turmeric covered chicken, topped with a mountain of mouthwatering, sweet apples and caramelized shallots. Serve Chicken Breasts with Turmeric, Apples and Shallots with rice, your favorite veggie or a side salad and you’ll have the perfect “good for you” meal that will certainly be an unforgettable family favorite.
It’s another cold and snowy day here in Michigan. I guess that’s how the last few Wednesdays have been around here. Well, if it has to be bitter cold outside, I’m at least happy to report that we have been staying warm and toasty by heating things up in our kitchen. The boys and I have been cooking up a storm this week! I’ve been putting them to work in the kitchen whenever possible, and they have been a huge help. I have also been enjoying a few minutes to test some recipes without my little helpers. That’s when I’ve been turning to nap times, nights and weekends when I need that extra minute to actually think about what I’m doing. 😉
I’ve been having such a blast creating all sorts of healthy and delicious recipes. OBSESSED might be the right word, but I’d prefer to stick with something a little less dramatic. Let’s just say that I have been on a total role lately, in the creating and cooking department. Lots and lots of fun goodies have been emerging from our kitchen these days. I will most definitely be sharing the winning recipes with you! So don’t even worry.
Ok, so more about this little creation. William was super excited about this dinner before I even made it! While we were out grocery shopping the other day, and busy gathering a few necessary ingredients, he exclaims, “Momma, I’m REALLY excited about that apple thing for dinner!” Well, if that doesn’t sell it, I don’t know what does. 😉 Clearly, this has become an instant family favorite! It’s sweet and savory, super easy, incredibly healthy, and just so yummy! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups diced shallots (about 5 large)
- 2 medium gala apples, peeled and diced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Slice chicken breasts in half, to create 8 thin breasts. Place chicken in gallon ziplock bag, and add 1 tablespoon of the oil and shake to coat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add spice mixture to chicken. Close bag and shake again to evenly coat the chicken. Place ziplock bag on a clean plate and refrigerate for 2-6 hours.
- Cook chicken breasts on grill or in a grill pan on the stove. Make sure to spray grilling surface with nonstick cooking spray before adding chicken. (If using a pan, grill in two batches to avoid overcrowding.) Remove cooked chicken from grilling surface to a clean plate, and cover with foil to keep warm.
- In a large, nonstick saute pan, over medium heat, add the remaining tablespoon of oil. When oil is almost shimmering, add the shallots and apples. Cook for about 5 minutes until apples and shallots are softened a bit. Then stir in the honey, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup water and 2 tablespoons vinegar. Cook for 10-15 minutes until apples and shallots start to caramelize and are softened. Then add the remaining 1/2 cup water and 2 tablespoons vinegar and stir together for about 20 seconds to loosen the sauce.
- Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon over chicken breasts and enjoy!
Copyright © 2014 Elizabeth’s Home LLC