I hope you had a great weekend! I can’t even believe that it’s already MAY!!! Where did the time go? Although, there were definitely days this winter that I never thought we would see the light of spring, but thankfully I guess we made it. Besides flowers, May also means BABY TIME around here! Let’s just say the countdown is officially on now. 🙂 YAY!
Today we had a lot of family fun running errands and enjoying the sunshine outside. It was such a beautiful (chilly) day! I think it’s probably safe to say that we “shopped ’til we dropped”, but in the end it was totally worth it. We accomplished a ton, had a blast together, and even managed to stop for a few pictures.
There’s no better way to end a great weekend than by finishing it off with a chocolate brownie dessert! I have always had such a sweet tooth, but I am also very picky about what I think is worth indulging in. Let me just say that these amazing little cubes of goodness are TOTALLY worth it! I have never met a better brownie! I have searched high and low for any brownie that could even come close to the thick, fudgy, level of perfection that these have, and I haven’t found it. (The only brownies out there that I can say are a “close”, but still pretty far, second to this recipe, are the Black Magic Brownies from Zingerman’s Delicatessen in Ann Arbor. Still, they really can’t compare to these Chocolate Fudge Brownies, and at $3.99 for one Black Magic Brownie, it’s obvious that you’re much better off making your own.)
These Chocolate Fudge Brownies have been a family favorite ever since I was little. I remember making them with my mom and sister quite often when we were growing up. They were always such a treat! Fast forward all of these years, and now I love making them with my kids. Isn’t it fun how a simple recipe can bring back so many wonderful memories? The original recipe was called Disgustingly Rich Brownies, and was from the Klutz Kids Cooking Cookbook. I adapted it just slightly, and decided to give my recipe a new name. All in all, these are still the same AMAZING brownies that I have been making and eating since I was little.
With Mother’s Day just a week away, I thought I’d share one of my favorite dessert recipes. What else could possibly say Happy Mother’s Day better than a thick, chocolate, fudgy brownie? These Chocolate Fudge Brownies are a classic favorite and are guaranteed to be a hit for Mother’s Day or any occasion!
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), melted and slightly cooled
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 or 9 inch square pan with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cocoa and sugar, then stir in the melted butter. Add eggs and vanilla and stir again.
- Add the flour and salt and mix together just until smooth. (Don't over mix)
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and spread out in an even layer. Bake for 40-50 minutes until the brownies just begin to pull away from the sides of the pan, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Do not over bake! (Or brownies will be dry.)
- Let brownies completely cool in pan before cutting. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve with vanilla ice cream, or eat plain.
These brownies are best when cooked until "just done". Be careful not to overcook them or they will not have that fudgy quality.